Maquamat Music Workshops have started at the Quinta de São Jacinto, Portugal, about 25mins from where I live. It is a huge farm complex with a fully functioning agricultural farm with grapes, olives, veggies, and lots of fruit trees. The owner, he has now rebuilt many of the buildings into a small event center, music studio, rooms for the guest musicians, etc.. What a fantastic place, although still a work in progress.. Durning this week, there were like 10 students and this night they got to perform with their teachers and an audience. I guess they were nervous. Moshie, he did an introduction and then it started with master cello player, Mayu Shviro. The focus of this workshop was Modal Music & Comprehensive Rhythm: Inside the music traditions of the Middle East. Her opening piece was just incredible. It had different movements and flows, very emotional. Wow. I loved it. In one section, it sounded like bagpipes! I wish I had filmed it. The entire event was filmed and multitrack recorded, so we might get to see. It next up was master of the tof miriam, an ancient frame drum, Zohar Fresco. He sang and played primarily a hand drum. It was a cool and intense piece. After that they did one together and then they were joined by the students. Some of the best ones got solos (violin, flute, oud, and a multi-stringed instrument from Crete, played upright but but bowed like a violin. Not sure what it is called. Anyway, they did 3 or 4 pieces and each was quite different. It was awesome.. Wow... Incredible musicians.
How lucky are we to get to see these master players out here in the middle of nowhere Portugal and for free!!! Thanks Moshie.. Awesome..
No comments:
Post a Comment