Saturday, December 19, 2015

My Top Albums for 2015

According to my list I have 141 releases from 2015 that I have on LP, CD, CD-R, or tape. I did not count 7” records. So I tried to pick 20 that I heard a lot of times of really got into a lot. They are not really in order from one to 20. Just a great list..

Fribytterdrømme- Labyrinths Farve (Tabu Records)
For me this was my favorite album from Denmark in 2015. A brilliant psychedelic rock album all sung in Danish.. Just great songs, nice laid back psychedelic vibe at times and other times more hard rocking and psyched out. The 12” they released later this year has one long Pink Floyd inspired track, which is also great… You can hear it below.

Black Space Riders- Refugeeum (Self Released)
This is the 3rd double LP I own by these German rockers and for sure my favorite. The band has just come up with a great set of psychedelic hard rock/metal classics. The title track is amazing. Reminds me of SEID sometimes.


Black Moon Circle- The Studio Jams Vol 1 (Space Rock Productions/Crispin’ Glover)
I played on this record so I knew what to expect but the sound on the vinyl was just so massive and we all played fucking great on these jams. This stuff still sounds so huge and inspired when I hear it.. Great record. Heavy psychedelic space blues!!

Blackberry Smoke- Holding all the Roses (Nuclear Blast)
Although the band is becoming more and more mainstream pop-country, I still love the songs that Charlie writes and this album just has some amazing songs like Woman in the Moon and Rock and Roll Again. I am hooked!

Motorhead- Bad Magic (UDR Music)
I have to say that I did not have very high expectations for this record but if you crank this one up loud, I have to say it blew me away. Lemmy’s voice is not so strong but Phil Campbell is the shit on this record. He just rips it up and has some totally killer guitar riffs… Micky Dee is Micky Dee and pounds the shit out of the kit.. Powerful stuff..

Datura4- Demon Blues (Alive Records)
This new Australian act on the Alive Records Label, is for sure on the best blues rock records of the year. Fantastic album. I really loved this one and it has some many killer songs. Reminds me a lot of Buffalo, their fellow countryman from the 70s, Grand Funk, Golden Grass….


Wo Fat- Live Juju (Fuzz Lab Records)
I was at this Wo Fat show live at Freak Valley and the band were great even though Kent’s voice was fucked. On this record they mix the vocal pretty low and the focus is on the great playing by the band! Let it Rip!


Seromonia- Kristalliarkki (Svart Records)
I have been following this band from Finland since the start and I was totally surprised how I got sucked into the great songs on this record. I can’t understand anything they sing (they have the lyrics in English this time!) but the strange psychedelic freak rock just speaks to me. Love this one.


Samal- Myrskyvarotus (Svart Records)Here is another record where I have no idea what they sing about but I just get hooked on the music. Their record II was amazing but I also love this one. Just amazing groove, singing and songs that take me back to the prog of the early 70s..


Pyramidal/Domo-Jams from the Sun (Lay Bare Records)
Two bands that I saw at Roadburn this year and both were great. This is a fantastic split album of new pretty jammed out stuff. Both bands deliver great sides of music of mostly instrumental spacey psychedelic rock music!

Black Rainbows- Hawkdope (Heavy Psych Sound Records)
The last Black rainbows record was amazing. I had high expectations for a record called Hawkdope and the band did not disappoint. The title track is amazing. I still wish they would stop trying to sound so much like Fu Manchu as they have so many great elements of their own to explore. Some of the tracks like Hawkdope and the Cosmic Picker are amazing.

Papir- Live at Roadburn (El Paraiso Records)
What can I say? This Danish group is amazing live and really inspiring to hear and watch. Nicklas is an amazing guitar player and when the band is having a great night, they are mind blowing. They had several great nights and these are the bands favorites. Awesome record.

Elder- Lore (Stickman Records)
US based Elder are back with another record. This is a band that just keep getting better and better. They have some elements that remind me of Motorpsycho on this great double vinyl. Great songs, great playing and awesome guitar parts.

White Hills- Walks for Motorists (Thrill Jocky)
I know there were a lot of people that were put off a bit by this record but here is a band that is doing their own thing and not just making the same record over and over again.  Their last one was my favorite studio album the band had made but I love the unique flavor of this one as well.

Øresund Space Collective- Different Creatures (Space Rock Productions)
Yes.. this is my own band but I am super proud of this double CD, triple vinyl LP. The music we made with members of Siena Root (ex), My brother the Wind, Tangle Edge, Agusa, Camper Van Beethoven… so inspired.. Check it out…

Domovoyd- Domovoyage (Svart)
Yet… Another fantastic and intense band from Finland. This one won me over not only with the trip voyage you get from hearing the entire record but for the amazing artwork and booklet that a lot of time and effort and thought was put into.. Intense trip.. probably the heaviest record on my list.

Nate Hall- Fear of Falling tape
This has come out on CD/LP by now but I got the original tape and have played this one many times. It is a lot like Nate’s work with US Christmas, much more than is solo album. Just dig his stuff.. Very real and personal and dark.

Gov’t Mule- Dark Side of the Mule
This was an amazing package of 2CDs and one live DVD of Gov’t Mule doing their take on Pink Floyd songs. Just fucking great… I have the Stoned side of the Mule (All Rolling Stones songs), The Dub side of the Mule as well but this one was the best. They also released Sco Mule but it was too much of the keyboard player Dr. Dan and not enough guitars for me.

Ozric Tentacles- Technicians of the Sacred
It has been some years since the Ozrics were back with a new album and this one takes the band even further into electronic music and further away from rock music but I think it is pretty brilliant. Sure, I wish they would strip it back down but they are doing a great job in their evolution and still making great music that is very multilayered and psychedelic.


Janne Westerlund- Marshland
Janne is best know as the guitarist in Circle and Plain Ride but I like this solo records as much as anything he does in the other bands. He just writes brilliant songs. The music is so stripped down, hobo guitar ballads for the lost souls of the world. Another great record..

4 comments:

  1. Hello from France Scott. Thanks for all these group I'm going to listen... I was at last Valada and use some of your good comments after that. Next week I'll take my tickets for next (Ozric Tentacles, Killing Joke...). Jean Michel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. I found White Hills to be a really weird band, hard to get into in a way. I like when they keep it more rocky and with vocals. The more electronico stuff is hard to keep me interested.
    So this new one is definitely one of my favorites of them.
    Looking forward to see them at the Freak Valley this year. :)

    Regards, Dan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dan, the more rocky stuff is when the band really excel but they are constantly evolving and never just making the same kind of record, which I respect them for.. Cool band..

      Delete